President Aquino has signedtwo new laws namely: Republic act 10591, AN ACT PROVIDING FOR A COMPREHENSIVE LAW ON FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION AND PROVIDING PENALTIES FOR VIOLATIONS THEREOF, and Republic act 10592, AN ACT AMENDING ARTICLES 29, 94, 97, 98 AND 99 OF ACT NO. 3815, AS AMENDED, OTHERWISE KNOWN AS THE REVISED PENAL CODE.
Repubic Act 10591 – also known as “Comprehensive Firearms and Ammunition Regulation Act”. The act provides strict guidelines on the issuance of gun license to individuals. One must be a Filipino citizen, at least 21 years old and should be employed, and has no criminal record to own a gun. One should also indicate in writing why he or she needs a firearm and should pass a gun safety seminar.
Republic Act 10592 – also known as “the Revised Penal Code.” It provides the inmates’ sentence to be reduced by the good behavior he/she will show in his’/her’s detention.
Any other local jail shall entitle him to the following deductions from the period of his sentence:
- During the first two years of imprisonment, he shall be allowed a deduction of twenty days for each month of good behavior during detention;
- During the third to the fifth year, inclusive, of his imprisonment, he shall be allowed a reduction of twenty-three days for each month of good behavior during detention;
- During the following years until the tenth year, inclusive, of his imprisonment, he shall be allowed a deduction of twenty-five days for each month of good behavior during detention;
- During the eleventh and successive years of his imprisonment, he shall be allowed a deduction of thirty days for each month of good behavior during detention; and
- At any time during the period of imprisonment, he shall be allowed another deduction of fifteen days, in addition to numbers one to four hereof, for each month of study, teaching or mentoring service time rendered.
RA 10592 was signed on May 29 and its implementing rules and regulations will be promulgated by the Departments of Justice and Interior and Local Government within 60 days thereafter.
For more updates in entertainment and trending news, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, add us to your circle in Google+ and we will keep you posted directly on your social media feeds or Sign up for Manila Republic's daily newsletter.